I remember back in 2015 when Jurassic World came out saying something like… “It doesn’t matter how many of these movies they make… I will go and see them.” That is not an understatement. There is something about the I thought I could control this “creation” that I enjoy when it goes awry. I could have cared less who was in it. By the time Jurassic World came to mind… I remember thinking… have we not learned anything? Apparently not. Jurassic World is a 2015 American science fiction action film. It is the fourth installment of the Jurassic Park franchise and the first in the Jurassic World trilogy. Set 22 years after the events of Jurassic Park, Jurassic World takes place on the same fictional island of Isla Nublar, located off the Pacific coast of Costa Rica. A successful theme park of cloned dinosaurs, dubbed Jurassic World, has operated on the island for years, bringing John Hammond’s dream to fruition. Ugh… they actually did it. There is no way none of these people haven’t heard about the disaster this was years ago… and even still… I am not all that interested in seeing Dinos in person… They could not have pitched this idea to me as a family fun weekend. The park plunges into chaos when a transgenic dinosaur escapes from its enclosure and goes on a rampage, while a conspiracy orchestrated by the park’s staff creates more dangers.
Jurassic World was released in the United States on June 2015. The film received generally positive reviews from critics (shocking to me… because critics never have anything nice to say.) and grossed $1.6 billion in box office revenue, reaching third among the highest-grossing films of all time. It was also the second-highest-grossing film of 2015 and the highest-grossing in the franchise. The sequel, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, was released in June 2018. Jurassic World Camp Cretaceous, an animated series set concurrently with the events of Jurassic World, was released in September 2020 on Netflix. A third film, Jurassic World: Dominion, is planned for release in June 2022. I am always down to see a movie that has a rollercoaster.
These were some great action scenes. And there is a lot of homage to the original that goes into these movies. So I am going to go over some scenes that I enjoyed and some scenes that blew my mind. Genetically splicing dinosaurs was always a good idea right? So let’s hop into it.
- Brothers Zach and Gray Mitchell are planning to visit Jurassic World, a dinosaur theme park on Isla Nublar, of which their aunt Claire Dearing is the operations manager. I wondered what their mom was thinking. I am not sure I would send my children to another country without me. And Aunt Claire is not great with children… so what is the point? Claire is too busy for this trip. RED FLAG. Claire is busy convincing visiting investors that the new attraction, a genetically modified hybrid dinosaur by the name of Indominus rex, will increase the park’s profits. (BAD IDEA. Like it has never been a good idea and will not suddenly be). Claire only sees the boys in the Innovation Center shortly before she has to return to her next meeting, promising to meet them for dinner and spending the next day with them. Zara is assigned to keep company with the boys.
- Elsewhere on the island, former Navy veteran and ethologist Owen Grady has been training a quartet of Velociraptors composed of Blue, Echo, Delta, and Charlie, and researching their intelligence. (What is he training them to do? No idea.) Based on the raptors’ ability to follow commands, head of InGen security Vic Hoskins believes that the animals can be weaponized and show potential for military applications (Moron… I am still asking the question from 22 years ago… how can you think that you have control over something that is 65 million years old that you know nothing about? You barely no anything about lions, tigers and bears.), an idea Owen and his assistant Barry vehemently oppose. However, a near-fatal encounter by an amateur worker, who was catching a pig, shows the raptors are not tamed. Check out the training scene here: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTCEdnu6nv8) This is a bad idea for everyone. Check out when training goes wrong. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3znhTOUqi8)
- Claire meets with the owner of the park, Simon Masrani. (You can tell that he may not make it to the end of the movie.) Prior to its opening, Claire and Simon inspect the park’s newest attraction, the Indominus rex, a transgenic dinosaur created by geneticist Dr. Henry Wu. (Why… after all this time… would he still be creating dinosaurs?) Masrani is impressed by the new dinosaur even after Claire reveals that the I. rex cannibalized its own sibling. Masrani tasks Owen with evaluating the enclosure’s security. Owen warns Claire that the Indominus lacks social skills, making it dangerous and unpredictable. Does Jurassic have a history of listening to naysayers? No. When the Indominus has apparently escaped, Owen and two park workers (Nick L and Nick K.) enter the enclosure. Owen spots some claw marks on the wall that weren’t there before, concluding that the I. rex has escaped by climbing over the enclosure’s wall. Claire rides back to the control room to see where the I. rex’s tracking device says it is. In the control room, workers see that the I. rex is still in the paddock. After being notified of this, Owen and the I. rex paddock workers try to escape. Suddenly, the I. rex reappears, eating Kilgore and breaks through the gate. Owen barely escapes by hiding underneath a vehicle and spraying himself with gasoline to mask his scent. However, Letting is eaten. Check it out here: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o28ko1AdRig)
- Owen advises Masrani to have the Indominus destroyed, but to protect his company’s investment, Masrani dispatches a specialized unit to subdue it with non-lethal weaponry, so it can safely be returned to its paddock. He still wants to protect the investment after they just watch people be killed. Claire sends the Asset Containment Unit (ACU) to take the I. Rex down. Owen tells Claire to bring the team back because they don’t know what the I.rex is capable of but she ignores him. (Why does everyone just ignore the many deaths that have already occurred? Like I wasn’t the biggest fan of Claire to begin with… mostly because she has a haughty no it all attitude. Yes you may know how to deal with investors… but that doesn’t mean you know anything about these creatures. You asked Owen in as an expert and then ignore everything he says? Make it make sense.) ACU Commander Katashi Hamada discovers that the I. rex has clawed out her tracking implant and spots the hybrid too late because she can camouflage herself. Hamada and a majority of the squad are either killed or eaten, with only a lucky few surviving without serious injuries. Claire chooses to close every attraction north of the resort while Owen advocates evacuating the island immediately. After most of the unit is slaughtered, while Masrani ponders Owen’s warning and confronts Wu. Something about Wu in the Jurassic World franchise seems slimey. Not like he was in the first movie. Check it out here: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJsXpwtMANw)
- Zach and Gray have left Zara to watch the Mosasaurus Feeding Show. The boys arrive at the Gyrosphere ride and travel the valley, seeing many of the dinosaurs roaming free. Despite being ordered to return to the station, Zach sees that one of the fence’s gates has been left destroyed (done by the Indominus) and can’t help but leave the enclosed area and enter the forest. The younger brother had more damn sense because we all know rule number 1 in a scary movie is… never leave the main road. They see a group of Ankylosaurus, but then the I. Rex camouflages itself again, and sneaks up behind them and attacks them viciously. The Indominus battles and kills an Ankylosaur as the boys flee, barely escaping the hybrid’s jaws by jumping over a waterfall. If I was the younger brother, I would be pissed. I did not plan on swimming. This was your idea. This scene is shot really well. I was surprised both boys got out of there unscathed. Check it out here: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADccmD2oeJI)
- Claire finds Owen, so he can help her find her nephews. (She doesn’t know how old her nephews are…? And why should he help her? She don’t listen to his input and swears she knows best.) They arrive at the Gyrosphere attraction and discover that the Indominus has gruesomely killed several Apatosauruses without eating them; Owen concludes from this that the hybrid is killing for sport. (I believe that is something like Muldoon says when he remarks that Raptors love the hunt.)They then find the destroyed Gyrosphere. Zach and Gray find the old Jurassic Park Visitor Center – now derelict and overgrown. They manage to repair an old Jurassic Park jeep and drive it back to the park. As they are leaving, Claire and Owen hear their departure and try to get one of the jeeps started themselves but before they can the Indominus arrives and attacks them, they barely escape with the Indominus close behind, but she is distracted by a helicopter overhead. (To say, they made it out by the skin of their teeth is an understatement.) Check it out here: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKBlmBTCbJQ)
- Masrani has outfitted his helicopter with two officers and a GE M134 Minigun and attacks the Indominus, the guards in Masrani’s helicopter try to shoot the I. rex; to no avail. The I. Rex breaks through the wall of the aviary and the pterosaurs escape. At least John Hammond stayed out of the way. Masrani is not helping… he’s only making things worse. Owen and Claire watch the pterosaurs attack Masrani’s chopper, causing it to crash, killing Masrani and the two personnel. The only thing to try and do now is get people off the island… which should have been done earlier. However, more animals are out of containment. When the boys reach the northern security wall, they see that a swarm of Pterosaurs is following them. After arriving in Main Street, Zara finds the two children, only to be snatched up by a Pteranodon and dropped into the Jurassic World Lagoon where the Mosasaurus eats her and an attacking Pteranodon. It is so weird to see people in the park. There is a lot of running and screaming as the Pteranodons swoop in and take travelers prisoner. They really tried not to evacuate people. Check it out here: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JhsCC3Rpuo)
- Now that Mansari is dead… Vic takes control. It is like he has been waiting to jump into the head seat from the beginning. And death is that opportunity. InGen’s Private Security Division, takes control of the park. Vic plans to use the raptors to hunt the I. Rex; although Owen initially declines, claiming that they should handle the situation his way, he reluctantly agrees when threatened. Owen needs to lead with his fist more. These morons in charge are getting people killed. Vic has been moaning all movie that Raptors can be used as weapons. He wouldn’t have thought that in the first movie… but I mean… he really shouldn’t have thought it here either. Owen and I are on edge for this because… they really have no idea what the I rex is or what it is made up of. The action scene is epic though. Would I want to ride a motorcycle with Raptors? Maybe… if DEATH was off the table. It is something about the close ups and the frist person view point that lends to this scene. They release the raptors and follow them into the jungle, where they locate the hybrid. Unexpectedly, the hybrid communicates with the raptors, which causes Owen to realize that she was made with Velociraptor DNA. (Owen and I said this was a bad idea right?) I Rex takes away Owen’s command of the raptors, becoming the pack’s new alpha. The raptors turn on the soldiers while the Indominus escapes. Owen finds Charlie and she seems to recognize him, but she is killed by a rocket. Troops fire on the Indominus, but it escapes. The raptors kill most of the troops, The soldiers flee and Barry hides in a log while Blue attempts to eat him, but Owen distracts her and she chases after him as he leaves on his motorbike. Hoskins evacuates Wu and the dinosaur embryos from the island to protect Wu’s research. Owen, Claire, and the boys find Hoskins at the lab securing more embryos, but Delta breaks in and kills him. Check it out: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0x7-oo9NAk) and here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZLauDWWGu8)
- Claire, Zach, and Gray are waiting in a Veterinary vehicle when a soldier appears and is killed by Delta while trying to open the back doors. It is reminiscent of the Dr. Ian Malcom jeep chase. Claire puts her foot to the floor and starts driving the ambulance. But while evading a T-Rex was hard trying to get away from. This scene is a bit more intense. Zach and Gray try pushing oxygen tanks out of the back of the truck to no avail. Echo attacks Claire through the window of the truck but falls out, and Zach and Gray manage to electrocute Delta when she jumps into the truck. But that doesn’t stop them for long. They keeping trying to hunt them down. Owen reappears and they head back to the resort while the raptors follow their new alpha. Check out the scene here: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqFEn5wQhBI)
- The four humans find Hoskins in the genetics lab attempting to evacuate himself from the facility. (Now this is the chaos he wanted. Where is he going? When the tough get going you can see who really sticks around.) He explains how he secretly manipulated the Masrani company to create the Indominus so that, at a fraction of the size, it would be used as a military weapon instead of a stationary park attraction. I don’t care what it is used for. It is a bad idea. Delta suddenly appears and corners Hoskins. Hoskins tries to calm her but to no avail, and she bites his arm and eventually, devours him instead. One can only hope that stupid idea dies with him. The four escape the Innovation center, but end up cornered outside by Blue, Delta, and Echo. I mean did they really think they are going to get away. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cow-i1ypu10)
- Owen manages to reestablish his connection with them and when the I. rex arrives. For a moment, you think this is all over for them. There is a moment of communication between the I. Rex and Blue. It is almost like the command is given to kill the humans again… and Blue seems like she is not going to do it. It is what gets her knocked unconscious. Something happens to Delta and Echo when Blue is knocked unconscious because they seem for apt to attack. Owen, Delta and Echo attack the hybrid but she is no easy win. Delta and Echo are killed… but it is Gray that points out that they need more teeth. Claire formulated a plan and takes off. They resort to one final option: Claire calls Lowery and tells him to open paddock 9. (I had an idea about what was in Paddock 9 but when the camera pans back I was still as delighted as I was when I first watched Jurassic Park.) Claire lures the park’s old veteran Tyrannosaurus rex into a fight with the Indominus. She has the upper hand for a moment, but then she is overpowered, and thrown to the ground. However, before the Indominus can kill her, Blue, who’s still alive from being knocked into a wall, attacks the Indominus, giving the T. rex time to wake up. The Indominus rex, who has no chance to fight back, flails wildly. Then out of nowhere, the T. rex gets back up from the ground and chomps onto her neck. The T. rex and Blue battle the Indominus, cornering her in front of the Mosasaurus Lagoon. Just as the Indominus recovers, the Mosasaurus bursts out of the water and drags the hybrid underwater where the marine reptile finishes her in a spectacular fashion. Blue and the T. rex exchange a respectable look, then head off into the night. The survivors are evacuated and the island is abandoned once again. Zach and Gray are reunited with their parents, while Owen and Claire decide to stay together. The scene was the amount of action I always want in an action sequence. I enjoy when two enemies come together to take down a greater more common enemy. I live for it. Check out the here: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtCslvCjZEY)
Good times had by me. I enjoyed every moment of it. Especially when I get to yell at the screen and ask them why they are doing stupid things. The scenes were a bit more action-packed than the original but I will say the dinosaurs looked a bit better in the original. But that could just be because I was younger and was really taken with the original movie. But this was a home run. I knew right away that if they were going to come out with more movies I was going to be down. So that is all for now. If you have words about the flick drop them in the comments.
Also let me know if you have ridden the new ride at Universal. I am intrigued to hear about it.
Leave a Reply